Presidents’ Day vs. “Twosday” – Which One is an Official Bank Holiday?
Every year, Presidents’ Day is celebrated on the third Monday in February. It is a federal holiday, which means that banks across the U.S. are closed.
This year, Presidents’ Day falls on Monday, February 21, 2022. Texas Gulf Bank will be closed on that day. Our bank branches will re-open on Tuesday, February 22, 2022.
Interestingly, there is numerical significance to the day after Presidents’ Day. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see the number “2” stacked together to make up the numerical date of 2/22/22. And, because this date just so happens to fall on a Tuesday, you may want to start thinking about some fun ways to sprinkle in “Twosday” to your conversations.
While “Twosday” is not a bank holiday, of course, this is a unique opportunity to have some fun with your employees, family, and friends. You can also share some fun facts about these back-to-back events. Let’s take a closer look at Presidents’ Day and “Twosday.”
Fun Facts About Presidents’ Day
Check out some of our favorite fun facts about Presidents’ Day (Monday, February 21, 2022).
- The connection between Presidents’ Day and 2/22 is actually much closer than you might realize. The holiday originated as a way to celebrate the birthday of our first U.S. president, George Washington, who was born on February 22. Then, in 1971, the U.S. government standardized the holiday to be recognized on the third Monday in February. Along the way, Abraham Lincoln was brought into the holiday, creating the broader “Presidents’ Day” recognition. Now, all U.S. presidents are honored on this day.
- Not every U.S. state uses the same punctuation or naming to recognize the holiday.
- In Texas, we address the day as “Presidents’ Day.” But, if you go across the country, you will find “President’s Day or Presidents Day.” Then, in other states, the holiday is recognized as Washington’s Birthday, Lincoln’s Birthday, or a combination of the presidents’ names.
- If you are looking for a dessert to celebrate Presidents’ Day, many revelers enjoy cherry pie to honor the famous story of George Washington chopping down a cherry tree.
Fun Facts About Twosday 2/22/22
Check out some of our favorite fun facts about “Twosday” (Tuesday, February 22, 2022).
- It is extremely rare for “Twosday” to occur on the calendar. The previous instance of 2/22/22 stacking together in 1922 fell on a Wednesday. Meanwhile, the next instance of 2/22/22 in the year 2122 will fall on a Sunday.
- According to what we looked up on historical calendars, the last time that the date 2/22/22 occurred on a Tuesday was 800 years ago on February 22, 1222!
- Are you thinking ahead to the year 2222? The palindrome date 2/22/2222 will, unfortunately, fall on a Friday, not a Tuesday.
Banking Ideas to Celebrate Twosday
Twosday is a fun opportunity for employers to have fun with their employees during this once-a-century occurrence. It’s also an opportunity for parents and grandparents to help their younger family members learn more about the value of numbers and money.
At Texas Gulf Bank, we are here for your business or personal banking needs. Since 1913, we have helped our local customers grow through strong relationships. Indeed, this means that we were helping customers during the previous instance of 2/22/22 in 1922! That’s longevity.
- Let us know how we can help you this month. We would appreciate hearing from you or stop by one of our local bank branches.