Layers of Security Features Help Keep Online & Mobile Banking Safe for TGB Customers
August 20, 2020
Reliance on online and mobile technology has grown significantly over the past few months as people spend more time at home with limited in-person visits to local businesses. This means that multichannel support and interactive features become more important as customers need to communicate with their financial institution seamlessly. However, the security of that sensitive data is critical as we have seen phishing attempts from scammers grow in sophistication over the years. Information housed in online banking includes your most personal financial details. Therefore, its protection is of utmost importance.
Below is an outline of Texas Gulf Bank’s online security features to help guard your sensitive data every step of the way.
TOP Online Banking Security Features
- Texas Gulf Bank utilizes complex Password Requirements including numeric, alpha, and special characters of at least 8 but no more than 12 characters. You must change your password every 90 days and cannot re-use your previous four passwords.
- Online banking behavior of users is monitored. The need to verify your identity is triggered when you do things like log into online banking from an unusual location or complete a transaction that is either outside the norm or exceeds a certain dollar amount. Multi-Factor Authentication in the form of Security Questions and Phone Verification is used to safeguard your login information and account access from potential hackers.
- To provide an extra level of anti-phishing security, you will be prompted to pick a Watermark (picture) from a library of images during your initial login. After selecting the image and upon subsequent logins, the Watermark will then be displayed in the lower-left corner of all online banking pages. This is to ensure the user is not on an incorrect URL or website.
- Email, Login, and Text Alerts can be set to monitor specific transactions outside your regular banking activity such as Wires or Electronic transfers. You can also set alerts to notify you if balances fall below a specified amount or to let you know when a specific check clears your account. (Note: Depending on your mobile carrier, you may be charged web access rates, standard text messaging rates and/or data transfer fees. Check with your wireless service provider for details on your specific plan.)
OPTIONAL Online Banking Security Features
- Touch ID®, Face ID®, & Android Fingerprint* are features on the TGB Mobile App that allow eligible devices to use biometric authentication to login in lieu of the username and password.
- Secure Tokens through Symantec™ VIP (Validation and IP Protection Service)** provide a one-time-use password entry into online banking accounts. While typically used for Treasury Service users, it is also available to consumers upon request. Each user (or Treasury Service user) is issued a secure token, which is registered to the user via Online Banking ID. Secure Token authentication is only required at login (following entry of the ID and Password).
- For Companies using our Treasury Services Online Banking Services, we strongly recommend the use of the Dual Control Security feature when utilizing higher risk online transactions such as Bill Pay, Wire Transfer, & ACH Origination. Dual Control allows one user to input/upload the necessary transactional information and requires a separate user to approve the transaction.
Behind-the-Scenes Security Features & Enterprise Security Monitoring
- Both Texas Gulf Bank’s website (www.texasgulfbank.com), as well as the online banking portal, are backed by a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Security Certificate. This is the standard protocol for keeping an internet connection secure, safeguarding sensitive data or information that is transferred on our website. This ensures all data transferred on our website is encrypted, preventing hackers from reading it. HTTPS appears at the beginning of a website URL when it is secured by an SSL certificate.
- We also use Enterprise Security Monitoring, a behind-the-scenes, fully automated online monitoring fraud prevention service. It leverages state-of-the-art correlation and behavioral analytics to track various online banking activities and flag items that need immediate attention.
For more information about how TGB can help you bank online securely,
CONTACT US online or give us a call at 800-467-7216 with any questions.
*Apple, Touch ID, Face ID, Apple Pay and App Store are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. All rights reserved
*Android Fingerprint is part of the Android Open Source Project overseen by Google. ©2020 Google, LLC is a subsidiary of Alphabet, Inc. All rights reserved. Google and the Google logo are registered trademarks of Google LLC.
**Copyright © 2020 Broadcom. All Rights Reserved. The term “Broadcom” refers to Broadcom Inc. and/or its subsidiaries. Broadcom, the pulse logo, Connecting everything, and Symantec are among the trademarks of Broadcom. SED-VIP-PB100 March 16, 2020