Managing Your Finances
Protect yourself from card skimming
Date:13 February, 2017
Have you heard of anyone’s debit card information being stolen and utilized while they still have the card in their physical possession? If so, they more than likely have fallen victim to a card-skimming device.
If you are not enrolled in online banking, please report a lost or stolen Texas Gulf Bank Visa® Debit Card or ATM Card immediately. During regular lobby hours call 800-467-7216 and ask for customer service. After hours and on weekends, call 888-297-3416.Visa® is a registered Trademark of Visa International Service Association
Thieves install these electronic devices over the normal card reading slot of ATM machines, gas pump card-swiping slots, retail store card-swiping machines and more. Skimmers record the data from the magnetic strip on the back of your card. Additionally, thieves often place a hidden camera near the device to record your Personal Identification Number (PIN) as it is entered.
Supplied with this information, thieves often make replicas of the card and then proceed to purchase items on your dime.
At Texas Gulf Bank, your financial security is our number one concern. We continually monitor all of our ATM machines to watch for any irregularities. Card skimming is also one of the reasons Texas Gulf Bank has issued new chip cards to all of our customers. The chip prevents duplicate cards from being as easy to make.
In addition to the steps we take on our end, here are a few tips for protecting your financial data yourself.
Take Steps to Protect Your Information
- Check for tampering. Pay careful attention to what the card reader and keypad normally look like on the machines you frequent most. Look for anything different or misaligned. Card-reading machines don’t have loose parts. If it wiggles, don’t use it.
- Shield your PIN. Assume someone is watching. Always cover the keypad when you’re typing in your PIN.
- Report it. Call the customer service number on your ATM or card reading device immediately if a machine appears suspicious or if it does not function properly.
As your financial partner, it is critical to us that we do our best to protect your security. If you believe you have fallen victim to a card skimming scam and are enrolled in online banking, please do the following:
- Login to online banking
- Click on the "Options" button
- Click on the "ATM/Debit Card" button
From here, you can deactivate your card immediately.
To order a new ATM/Debit card, please visit your nearest Texas Gulf Bank branch. A $5 replacement fee will be assessed at the time of re-order.
If you are not enrolled in online banking, please report a lost or stolen Texas Gulf Bank Visa® Debit Card or ATM Card immediately. During regular lobby hours call 800-467-7216 and ask for customer service. After hours and on weekends, call 888-297-3416.